Sunday, November 4, 2012

Zuppa Toscana, my version of the Olive Garden soup

I recently got a book, Fifty Shades of Kale for my kindle. After reading about the health benefits of kale, I was interested in incorporating it into our diets. I was discussing this with the aide of one of the clients I drive, and she told me about a lovely sausage, potato, and kale soup at The Olive Garden. I soon had an opportunity to eat there, and ordered the Zuppa Toscana. It was as good as she'd described and more. Alexis had also mentioned that it would be easy to make at home. I couldn't wait to try. Here's the version I made today:

Katha Toscana Soup- I don't measure anything, I just approximate what I think would be good.

1 Tbl olive oil
1 small package of sausage. I used a quarter of a pack of  Premio Hot Italian Sausage from Costco.
1/2 Tbl or so of Red Pepper Flake (I just shook it out until it covered the sausages lightly)
2-3 slices of chopped bacon (optional)
1 large onion, chopped
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 quart of chicken stock
1 quart of water
6 large Idaho potatoes
1 cup milk/cream
6-8 cups kale, roughly chopped

Brown the sausage in the olive oil (with bacon, if using)
Add onion and red pepper flake
When browned, remove sausage (and bacon) to plate to cool
When onions are nicely caramelized, add garlic, cook about 4-5 minutes
Cut sausage/bacon into bite sized chunks and return to pot
Add chicken stock and water, along with potatoes
Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender
Reduce heat and add kale and milk/cream
Serve when kale is heated through
Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired

Kale should be fine by the time you can grab a ladle, bowl and spoon.

I used all 1% milk. It was good, but I think adding a little heavy cream or half and half would be even better. I'll try that next time. I will also be trying with regular sausage as opposed to hot. Hmm, I wonder how well quinoa would go with this... So many possibilities!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds so good. I bet you could substitute turkey sausage and bacon and it would taste very good too!

KathaMaranatha said...

I think you're right, Chris! I tried it again with quinoa, but I added too much, so it was no longer soup, but it was still quite delicious.